Press Release: Arizona Myeloma Network Receives $26,600
ATTACHED PHOTO CAPTION:
PHOENIX –(March 19, 2009) – In a time when funds are being cut from vital programs across the country, the Phoenix Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® is granting $2.6 million – its largest amount ever – to breast cancer screening, education, treatment and research. More than $2.1 million will stay in the community, funding 33 nonprofit organizations throughout central and northern Arizona.
The Arizona Myeloma Network, AzMN, has been awarded $26,600 to fund the Dine Breast Cancer Awareness and Prevention Training Program for the Navajo Nation. The Dine Breast Cancer Program will train Navajo women to reach out to breast cancer patients and their families and provide information about mammograms and other prevention and screening resources available for women and famlies on the Reservation.
AzMN, and the additional grantees were recognized at Komen’s annual “Fulfilling the Promise” luncheon on Thursday, March 26 at the Tempe Center for the Arts. The invitation-only event featured Arizona Governor, Jan Brewer, as a special guest speaker. It also honored the organization’s dedicated volunteers and supporters.
“We are honored to have the opportunity to provide this much needed education and prevention training program to the Navajo community at Navajo Nation. And, we are also grateful to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure for providing us with the funding to help ‘women’ to help other women with breast cancer and bring new hope to cancer patients and survivors on the Reservation.”
The community grants program allows the Komen Phoenix Affiliate to carry out its mission of saving lives and ending breast cancer forever throughout medically underserved communities. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Phoenix Affiliate’s annual Race for the Cure and other programs stay within the service area of central and northern Arizona. The remaining 25 percent funds the national Susan G. Komen for the Cure breast cancer research program.
“Our grants program is the absolute juncture of where the rubber meets the road,” says Candyce Lindsay, Grants Director of the Komen Phoenix Affiliate. “The funds that are raised by the Race for the Cure by this community are going directly to the community where the need has been defined.”
The Komen Phoenix Affiliate’s annual community grants program awards funds to non-profit organizations that provide innovative, non-duplicative breast health and breast cancer services directly to the medically underserved, uninsured or underinsured. The services must be provided within the Phoenix Affiliate’s service area, which includes Apache, Coconino, Gila, La Paz, Maricopa, Mohave, Navajo, Pinal and Yavapai counties.
In addition to the $2,133,226 in local grants, the Komen Phoenix Affiliate has also granted $550,000 to the national Susan G. Komen for the Cure Research Grants Program, bringing its 2009/2010 contribution to over $2.6 million. Of these funds, $550,000 was awarded to research programs, $150,235 to education programs, $748,660 to screening programs and $1,234,331 to treatment programs. Since its inception in 1993, the Komen Phoenix Affiliate has granted more than $16 million – making it the largest private grantor of breast cancer funds in Arizona.
The organization’s primary fundraiser is its annual Komen Phoenix Race for the Cure®, which is held each October and is the largest 5k event in Arizona. The 2008 event drew 31,500 participants and raised a record $2 million. The seventeenth annual Race will be held on Sunday, Oct. 11 in the State Capitol District in Phoenix. For more information, please visit www.komenphoenix.org.
About the Phoenix Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®
About the Arizona Myeloma Network